Whether you are off for the first time to college, nervous about your child's first school day, or hoping to encourage an older child in their studies, below you'll find fun books perfect for back to school.
Back to College Books
A few quick, fun book picks for back to college:
- 1001 Things Every College Student Needs to Know - selling for under $5 at Amazon.com and also available as a Kindle edition. Under $5 is fun.
- How to Become a Straight A Student... while studying less (Kindle edition). Now which student wouldn't like hints for less work? That's what makes this one fun.
- Or how about The Naked Roommate... or Plebes - the cartoon guide for college guys.
Starting High School Books
Freshman year, scary or successful, books can make it fun.
- Think of high school like a wilderness experience and pack yourself The Ultimate High School Survival Guide.
- Musicals and high school just seem to go together. You might be tempted to think that fiction is useless when it comes to acing high school, but in fact we all learn from stories. They're the perfect conversation starters and they prompt us to think through our own experiences and challenges. With that in mind, you may enjoy Hairspray (in hardback) - all about the making of this high-school-backdrop movie. Or, for the gleek in you, The Complete Unofficial Glee A-Z.
- Or maybe just opt out of the school system all together with The Teenage Liberation Handbook. If you've not read this one, it's a must have classic (for adults too).
Try also Adult Nonfiction for more young adult reading suggestions.
Starting Middle School
Middle school is a growth experience which requires kids to keep a sense of humor. Here are some fun back to school books for middle school kids:
- For some sage (and fun) advice on what to expect and how other kids have solved middle school challenges take a look at The Middle School Survival Guide.
- Middle school stories remain funny long after you've survived the experience - amply demonstrated by the popularity of Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
- Or how about Hormone Jungle - coming of age in middle school, a Mom's Choice Award Winner.